Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Tip # 4: How to Avoid the Bugs in Bug Country

There is no avoiding bugs in the wilderness.  If you have a pathological fear of bugs, this post will not help you (I recommend self-administered exposure therapy and maybe one day these irrational fears will subside, as mine have.)  However, loosing a fear of bugs does imply overcoming a dislike of being bitten, stung, or otherwise painfully annoyed by bugs.

Here are a few simply items you can bring with you on the trail that will help you from being eaten alive in bug country: 
What some of friends look like when they are trying to avoid the bugs. 



Note: No skin is exposed and yes, my friend Dave is wearing a "rain dress"

1) Long Sleeve "Sun" Shirt

This highly versatile trail treasure can save your butt, or more precisely, your entire upper body, from bugs.  I recommend what is typically advertised as a "sun shirt" because these long sleeve button downs are breathable, wicking, and typically made with durable synthetic materials. Plus they have the added benefit of sun protection (duh), which is critical in high altitudes.  You can also find shirts with bug repellent built in, though I usually like to apply my own.
CAUTION: Some sun shirts have vents in the back.  Make sure the vents are made with fine mesh or the bugs can get in (and believe me they will).        


My friend Mara sporting a beautiful sun shirt

2) Bug Net

I used to think a bug net was overkill. Then I climbed a mountain surrounded by a mosquito invested swamp. Suck it up, get a bug net. You might not look cool but bug bites on your face are much worse. Plus, bug nets are cheap, extremely lightweight, and take up almost no space in your pack.  Never hit the trail without one, even if you don't think you'll need it.


Me looking fancy in my bug net AND sun shirt. 

 3) Bug Repellent with Deet

Seems like a no-brainer but many bug repellents do not contain deet.  I used to buy natural bug repellent without deet, figuring it was all in the same, plus I wanted to be healthy and mindful.  It wasn't until I borrowed my friends bug repellent with deet that I realized by organic stuff wasn't actually working!  Some people swear by non-deet products (although I know more people who swear by deet), and maybe there are some natural products out there that work.  Feel free to experiment with yourself as a human sacrifice.  Or just go buy some deet and make your life simple.  Levi special orders "pure" deet from African (???), which is extremely effective, although it might not be legal and can burn holes in synthetic material.  Use with caution.

 

4) MISC. Tips

Other tricks I use include wearing gloves and securing them under my sleeves (yes, I've done this in 90 degree weather), and buying lightweight tents with a separate bug net.  Tents with a bug net are nice because you can just set up the bug netting if you don't need the full tent.  That way you can sleep under the stars even when your stuck camping in dangerous bug territory.
A general note on tents: If you are backpacking with a tent, make sure its lightweight or hyper-light. Otherwise, you will be killing yourself with the weight.
I own something similar to this that is designed for 2 people and comes with a rain shelter.


Thats it for now.
Happy Trails,
Backpacker Chick.    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment