Monday, August 13, 2012

Tip #2: Coffee Addicts in the Woods

I am a coffee addict- if I don't have a cup of coffee by noon my head is pounding. The prospect of not being able to have coffee in the outdoors has even made me leery of going on a few group trips which had taken on the "all natural" or "toxin free" living philosophy. I personally don't have a problem with coffee addiction, but I do have a problem being trapped by my love and need for coffee. Here are a couple methods I use to support my caffeine addiction in the back country.

1) Instant Coffee!!!


My brand of choice is Starbucks VIA, which practically tastes like regular coffee! I usually use two packets in a single cup, and I also bring along a little powdered milk and sugar, which I also use in my oatmeal. There is nothing better than sitting at camp in the morning sipping a hot cup of coffee and waiting for your breakfast to cook. Instant coffee is also pretty lightweight! Defiantly a back-country must.






2) Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans

Espresso beans are good in a pinch! There could be many reasons why breakfast didn't happen- maybe you are not in a position to boil water; maybe you like to tear out of camp early and eat breakfast on the road; maybe you are with a group of people who frown on coffee (weirdo's- avoid at all cost). Whatever the reason, if you know your going to get headaches without coffee and you can't really make a cup, chocolate covered espresso beans are a sure fix. Keep in mind they are heavy but each one if extremely potent.


3) Caffeinated Tea

Now, this is my least favorite option but it's what I relied on when I was on a coffee free backpacking course in California. I know this course had its reasons for banning coffee, saying it had to do with the high altitude, but I really don't buy it because the freaking instructors had their own "secret" coffee stash! Either way, I didn't struggle detoxing from coffee as much as I thought I would, but tea is defiantly a poor substitute for a good cup of Joe if you are as big of a coffee fanatic as I am. However, I always bring a bit of decaffeinated tea for the evenings, so I'm not a total tea hater. 

Hope this helps fellow trail blazing coffee addicts like me! And of course- none of this applies if you are car camping because, that's what portable drip coffee makers are for!! Break out the freshly ground Jamaican Blue Mountain and have a blast!!!

Happy Trails,
Steph 


1 comment:

  1. I second the Starbucks VIA suggestion, I use two packets with about 12 ounces of water and no sugar or cream. Wouldn't be able to drink regular Starbucks coffee like that (I hate it and usually dilute the burnt taste with half and half).

    ReplyDelete